Discussion:Amendment for same sex couple & W-2C

From TaxAlmanac, A Free Online Resource for Tax Professionals
Note: You are using this website at your own risk, subject to our Disclaimer and Website Use and Contribution Terms.

From TaxAlmanac

Revision as of 19:07, 8 April 2014 by Kevinh5 (Talk | contribs)
Jump to: navigation, search

Discussion Forum Index --> Basic Tax Questions --> Amendment for same sex couple & W-2C

Discussion Forum Index --> Tax Questions --> Amendment for same sex couple & W-2C

Jaykid007 (talk|edits) said:

8 April 2014
Hello, I've been researching for an hour on the internet and the gold box and running out of time and steam.

Situation is simple...same sex couple married and filed to single returns for Federal and MFJ CA tax return.

Employer issues W-2C to correct the imputed tax on same sex partner health benefit.

Question is:

Can I just amend the single return and correct the wages with the W-2C? Nothing says that I need to also change the filing status to married filing joint or separate. No reason to since it doesn't provide any tax benefit to the married same sex couple. I understand on the IRS website that it is option for prior years.

Can anyone give a solid answer that I can amend the SINGLE return since I have a W-2C and call it a day?


Jaykid007 (talk|edits) said:

8 April 2014
It is a 2010 tax return so I'm running out of time.

Kevinh5 (talk|edits) said:

8 April 2014
I don't think you can. The tax benefit is clearly because they were married, you can't ignore that.
Personal tools