User talk:Lalva

From TaxAlmanac, A Free Online Resource for Tax Professionals
Note: You are using this website at your own risk, subject to our Disclaimer and Website Use and Contribution Terms.

From TaxAlmanac

Jump to: navigation, search
Leave a message for Lalva

This page is where you can leave a message for Lalva. Lalva will be notified of messages the next time they access TaxAlmanac.

Please make sure to sign your message by adding four tildes: ~~~~ at the end of your message.

If you are actually Lalva, this is your page. Feel free to edit your discussion page to add or remove anything you'd like.

Leave a message for Lalva by clicking here



Hello, and welcome to TaxAlmanac! My name is Tim Doyle and I serve here in the role of TaxAlmanac Moderator. If you haven't done so already, you might want to review our Quick Start Guide to help you get oriented.

As you begin to interact on TaxAlmanac, your changes will be linked to your personal user page. We encourage you to edit this page and add a short description about yourself. This will allow others to better understand your background and qualifications as they review any replies or information that you submit. I see that you've already added information to your user page - thank you!

We also suggest that you introduce yourself to the other members of the TaxAlmanac community on the User Introduction Discussion Forum.

If you can think of anything we can do to make TaxAlmanac a more useful resource to you, please feel free to give us your feedback on the TaxAlmanac Feedback Discussion Forum.

I hope you enjoy being a member of the TaxAlmanac community! If you have any questions, see the help pages or ask me on my talk page. Again, welcome!

- Tim Doyle, TaxAlmanac Moderator 08:22, 9 February 2006 (CST)

Last Tax Season

So how did it go last tax season? How many returns did you prepare? I started last tax season as well and I did ok but my fees were wayyyyyyyyyy too low. As far as marketing is concerned, what did you find to be the most effective method?Rudolphacctg 22:15, 16 December 2006 (CST)

Growing a Business

Well I have learned a lot during this past tax season. I started out by using a virtual office, where I paid $140/month for the use of an address, mailbox, voicemail, and answering service. If I needed to meet clients then the charge was $25 per hour to use the office space. Even using this method I found that some people would come into the office and be a little apprehensive because it was so barren! This year, because I am targeting small business clients, I decided to rent office space at the sam place for 6 months at $400/month. I still get everything I was getting before plus I my own full time office.

I too joined the Chamber, I have an ad in Yellow Pages, and I am also going to purchase a mailing list from to target new homeowners in the area where my office is located. I also stumbled across a listing of newly formed corporations on my state's Secretary of State website. I am even able to download the information to Excel and merge the addresses into a letter. This has by far been the best marketing tool for me.

mobile tax prep

I wouldn't even go to an appointment where the individual is already trying to cheat you out of your fee. This person is probably bad news.

I don't do mobile returns, but I do offer a 100% refund IF they give me all copies of their unfiled returns back. An e-filed return that has been filed doesn't qualify for a refund. Kevinh5

Hello, Lalva:

We prepare an intial year filing of Form 3520 and Form 3520-A for a Fideicomiso so that a US Person's Tax Professional can "follow suit", and prepare subsequent returns.

Please see our blog: and website: if you have additional questions.

Best regards,

Prior Agent

Closing costs rental short-sale

Lalva, I've posted my response to your question in Discussion: Foreclosure vs Short Sale Tax Implications DaveFogel 16:06, 19 April 2011 (UTC)


Lalva, thanks for your kind words in your cofeemaker post. Glad I'm able to provide a laugh or two to make the day a litter better! Take care. CrowJD 01:55, 8 May 2011 (UTC)

To change a discussion title

Hey, you said you couldn't figure out how to change a discussion title. In case you need to do that:

  1. Open the discussion
  2. Click the "move" tab top right-ish side of screen, to the left of "bookmark this page."
  3. In the "To new title" box, make the changes you want. Just be sure to keep "Discussion:" at the start - including the colon - as that's what sorts it into the forum.
  4. Add a reason, briefly (optional but recommended).
  5. Click the "move page" button.

That's it! There's more - or perhaps the same thing, basically - in the FAQ - FAQ #4 I think.

Trillium 05:47, 9 May 2012 (UTC)

Your Software question -

I've relocated your question about Intuit Online over to the Practice Management forum, since there are so many discussions going on there already about the various packages and forms available, and since you might get more input there from people interested in that "practice management" type of question. Some of the people on the PM/BG forum don't read the tax questions (and vice versa!). You can still get to the discussion via the "my contibutions" link in the upper right corner of your screen.

Trillium 12:07, 17 May 2012 (UTC)

Cancellation of student loan debt due to disability

Hi, just looking for an answer to the same question you posted in 2011. My client became disabled and unable to complete school. The US Dept of Education dismissed her debt and sent a 1099-C for the cancellation of the student loan debt. I've not been able to find anything saying that it is not taxable, although she insists it shouldn't be. While I explain that I agree, maybe it shouldn't be, but the tax law doesn't agree and I would try to find any information possible regarding this issue. Please tell me how you ended up handling your situation. Thank you!

Cancellation of student loan debt due to disability

Signed: cpaintheville

I researched it and determined that it had to be included in her tax return. In her case, she was disabled and had no income and no assets (old car, furnishing, clothing, etc, so she could take the insolvency exception for most of the cancellation of debt. At the end she didn't have to include much in her income, so it was all good.

Cancellation of student loan debt due to disability

Thank you for your quick response!

I am preparing the 2012 tax return so I know I have to use the 1040NR return, with 1040 "statement". My question to you is, in the 1040 statement, the tp will file MFS, right? His wife didn't have any income. I believe he can take his kids and foreign wife as dependents in the 1040 statement to calculate the tax due, and he can claim the Child tax credit for the two kids.

By default you are a full year resident of the US if you were a resident the year before. You might choose to elect to be dual status, if you qualify. Pub 519 details this. It is frequently better to file on worldwide income for the full year to get the standard deduction and better tax rates filing jointly.

A 1040NR can only be MFS and the spouse's exemption cannot be claimed unless they are a resident of Canada or Mexico. The CTC will be available to him only if he qualifies under all regular rules which includes that the children must be residents of the US.

New Forum

We hope you found the new forum at

Spell Czech

Depreciation/Change of business use

Hi Lalva,

I just saw your message. Sorry for the late reply.

Wow! I am aging. That was 7 years ago, and I can't even remember the client name for this audit. Although, I doubt that would help anyhow. We have already shredded our 2007 records so all of our precious work has been reincarnated into another paper product today or sitting in a land fill somewhere.

--PVVCPA 16:12, 6 June 2014 (UTC)

Personal tools