Name Changes & Social Security Number Matching Issues (2004 IRS FAQ)

From TaxAlmanac, A Free Online Resource for Tax Professionals
Note: You are using this website at your own risk, subject to our Disclaimer and Website Use and Contribution Terms.

From TaxAlmanac

Jump to: navigation, search

IRS FAQ 1.10 IRS Procedures: Name Changes & Social Security Number Matching Issues

If I go to the Social Security Administration office to change my name, how long does it take the IRS to update its records?

IRS records are generally updated 10 days after the records at the Social Security Administration are changed.


How can I correct the spelling of my name with IRS?

The name on the refund check is spelled the way it appears on your tax return. If the address label you receive is spelled wrong, do not use the label. Instead, print the information on the tax return. You can also call (800) 829-1040 and we can change the spelling of your name over the phone.

Do I need to change my maiden name to my married name on my social security card for us to file jointly?

You can still file Married Filing Jointly without changing your name with the Social Security Administration. However, you do need to show your maiden name on the tax return instead of your married name.

I got married and I have not changed the name on my social security card to my married name. My Form W-2 is in my married name but my tax forms came in my maiden name. Should I file with my maiden name or married name?

It is important that the name the Social Security Administration has in its system for your social security number agrees with the name on your tax return. You have a choice. You can file with your maiden name and contact the Social Security Administration after you file your return. Or, if you have enough time before the due date of your return, you can contact the Social Security Administration and have your records changed. Please wait 10 days to file your tax return.

To change the name shown on your social security card, you need to complete SSA Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card. Form SS-5 is available at[1] You can also obtain Form SS-5 by calling SSA at 1-800-772-1213 or vising your local SSA office. Note: Form SS-5 is filed with SSA.

The Social Security Administration will issue you a new security card reflecting your married name and automatically send an update to us.



Personal tools