To join in on this discussion, you must first log in.

Discussion:W2 Identity Theft

From TaxAlmanac, A Free Online Resource for Tax Professionals
Note: You are using this website at your own risk, subject to our Disclaimer and Website Use and Contribution Terms.

From TaxAlmanac

Jump to: navigation, search

Discussion Forum Index --> General Chat --> W2 Identity Theft

Kpangelinan (talk|edits) said:

8 April 2010
Client had received information from the IRS on income earned but not reported on their tax return. The income earned was from a company who issued a W2 in the clients name, but the client never worked there. Apparently somebody worked for that company and put in my clients social security number on her W4's instead of their own. How does this get correct with the IRS? Send in an amendment with attachments stating that they are not hers? Does the client need to do anything with the company themselves?

Kevinh5 (talk|edits) said:

8 April 2010
I would go to the IRS website and read the link about identity theft.

Tax Writer (talk|edits) said:

9 April 2010
Had this happen numerous times. I respond to the IRS notice reporting the identity theft. You can file an online report on the Federal Trade Commission's website-- it only takes a few minutes. I send a copy of the "official report" to the IRS with the notice. I've never had a problem. FYI-- I thought I would add this info-- I wrote an article on identity theft in 2006 as part of a series and all the credit reporting agencies are listed-- the client should probably put a freeze on his account. It's open source, so you can copy and paste the article into any e-mail, etc, as long as the copy right notice remains intact. [1]

Natalie (talk|edits) said:

April 9, 2010
"should probably put a freeze on his account." should most definitely put a fraud alert on account with all three credit reporting agencies. I don't know what the IRS website says, but there may have been other activity as well. Check all three credit bureaus for any suspicious activity. Report the ID theft to proper authorities (not just the IRS). This is not just a tax issue. This person's life may be messed up big time for a long time.

To join in on this discussion, you must first log in.
Personal tools