Discussion:US Film Director Filming in Australia

From TaxAlmanac, A Free Online Resource for Tax Professionals
Note: You are using this website at your own risk, subject to our Disclaimer and Website Use and Contribution Terms.

From TaxAlmanac

Jump to: navigation, search

Discussion Forum Index --> Tax Questions --> US Film Director Filming in Australia

Belmont8 (talk|edits) said:

12 January 2007
Have client who is a film director who will have a project in Australia. He will be paid by a US company to direct this project. What are his tax requirements to Australia regarding his time spent in country with the project?

Sandysea (talk|edits) said:

12 January 2007

Try this website....depending on his residency as determined by Australia, he may or may not have to file a tax return. Is he an employee of the US company? Or does he have a company himself that then may meet nexus requirements in Australia?

Individuals are taxed differently than businesses operating in the foreign country, so first determine what his activities will be taxed as (individual or company) and go from there :)

Lizzit (talk|edits) said:

13 January 2007
If your guy can time things right, and he manages to have 330 days (in any rolling 365 day period) outside the US, then he can claim Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.

If he pays Australian tax, he can take the Foreign Tax Credit.

If his assignment is less than one year (a rolling 365 day period), he can take Temporary Away From Home expenses. Don't forget to use the meaty FOCONUS meals per diem rates rather than the US ones.

To join in on this discussion, you must first log in.
Personal tools