To join in on this discussion, you must first log in.

Discussion:Registering in other States

From TaxAlmanac, A Free Online Resource for Tax Professionals
Note: You are using this website at your own risk, subject to our Disclaimer and Website Use and Contribution Terms.

From TaxAlmanac

Jump to: navigation, search

Discussion Forum Index --> Business Growth Community --> Registering in other States

Poplar (talk|edits) said:

12 January 2006
Question for the group,

Are you registering in other states (in addition to your home state, of course) as a non-resident tax preparer? Art Berkowitz ( done a great job of preparing a spreadsheet of States that require registration, but it just doesn't seem reasonable, for example, for me to register with New York State at a cost of $345 to prepare 3 tax returns. Sure I can add that to my clients bill, but then I may lose a client (plus the hassle of registration). Any comments appreciated.

PGattoCPA (talk|edits) said:

13 January 2006
I saw this last month and I think it's a good start. However, without looking at the relevant state statutes, I think you should be careful about applying for a license that you may not be required to have.

For instance, I can see a state saying you need to be licensed if you are preparing the return of a resident taxpayer. However, if you are preparing a non-resident return because your client happens to be invested in a partnership with nexus in that state, then I think the state would be hard-pressed to make that fly.

Art's schedule does not differentiate between services performed for residents versus services performed for non-residents. However, as I said above it is a good start and brings the issue to the attention of professionals who should now look at the relevant statutes of the states that are applicable to their practice.

To join in on this discussion, you must first log in.
Personal tools