Discussion:OTHER INCOME : 1099 not on W-2

From TaxAlmanac, A Free Online Resource for Tax Professionals
Note: You are using this website at your own risk, subject to our Disclaimer and Website Use and Contribution Terms.

From TaxAlmanac

Jump to: navigation, search

Discussion Forum Index --> Basic Tax Questions --> OTHER INCOME : 1099 not on W-2

Discussion Forum Index --> Tax Questions --> OTHER INCOME : 1099 not on W-2

Sw (talk|edits) said:

I have a truck driver that received a w-2, but his employer paid him extra if he unloads his own truck (Lumper). Employer did not include this on the W-2 or give him a 1099. But client kept all the check stubs around $ 5700.00, can I get by as just listing this as other income on line 21, or put it on Sch C, and make him pay the social security on this. I always hate situations like this, as this in not his business. How would you handle this?

Death&Taxes (talk|edits) said:

17 February 2011
In olden days I'd put it on Form 4137 and cross off 'tips' and note that these were wages....paying the Social Security. But now such misclassified payments take a Form 8919.

Sw (talk|edits) said:

Look like you would also have to file the SS-8. I guess I'll just put it on the SCH C, as I think he really needs to keep his job.

Death&Taxes (talk|edits) said:

18 February 2011
This discussion neatly ties into this other one: Discussion: Unreported Tips

To join in on this discussion, you must first log in.
Personal tools