From TaxAlmanac, A Free Online Resource for Tax Professionals
Note: You are using this website at your own risk, subject to our Disclaimer and Website Use and Contribution Terms.

From TaxAlmanac

Jump to: navigation, search

Discussion Forum Index --> User Introductions --> Judgements

Kochhammond (talk|edits) said:

18 January 2006
I have been awarded a judgement for unpaid rent and damages, but cannot collect. Is there a way to deduct this amount on my Federal and/or State income taxes?

Counterhrh (talk|edits) said:

18 January 2006
If you are a "cash basis" taxpayer, the answer is NO!

This is because you never reported the unpaid rent and damages as taxable income, and therefore have no allowable deduction.

TLF (talk|edits) said:

22 January 2006
I agree. You must have included the income on your return in order to take a deduction for a bad debt.

To join in on this discussion, you must first log in.
Personal tools