Discussion:Farmer's Casualty loss

From TaxAlmanac, A Free Online Resource for Tax Professionals
Note: You are using this website at your own risk, subject to our Disclaimer and Website Use and Contribution Terms.

From TaxAlmanac

Jump to: navigation, search

Discussion Forum Index --> Tax Questions --> Farmer's Casualty loss

Link1time (talk|edits) said:

10 January 2007

I have a farmer that had several barns destroyed in a storm in 2006. Do I need to file a Form 4684? For example, he had a barn totally destroyed. His original cost was $45,955. less depreciation gained of $4231.leaving an adjusted basis of $41724.00. He received $29,300.00 in insurance and has rebuilt the barn at a cost of $30,400. The original cost of the barn included excavation for the original pad where barn was constructed.

I'm not sure how and what I should do with this.

Dennis (talk|edits) said:

10 January 2007
Sec. 1033

Deback (talk|edits) said:

January 10, 2007
Without spending much time on this, you should fill out Form 4684, Section B, and enter the amounts to see if the form needs to be filed. You'll need to know the FMV of the barns before and after the storm.

To join in on this discussion, you must first log in.
Personal tools