Discussion Archives:Foreign Investor - best entity form

From TaxAlmanac, A Free Online Resource for Tax Professionals
Note: You are using this website at your own risk, subject to our Disclaimer and Website Use and Contribution Terms.

From TaxAlmanac

Jump to: navigation, search

Discussion Forum Index --> Advanced Tax Questions --> Foreign Investor - best entity form

Discussion Forum Index --> Tax Questions --> Foreign Investor - best entity form

Gono (talk|edits) said:

2 April 2008

What type of business entity (Corp, LLC) is more suitable

for a foreign national who wants to invest in real estate and other investments in the US? What is the best way to structure it?

Guya (talk|edits) said:

2 April 2008
It depends on whether you are talking about income tax, estate tax, state law and more importantly local tax rules in the home country.

There is no right answer without reviewing all of these items.

Yt1300inHtown (talk|edits) said:

8 July 2011

Breathing life into an old thread if you don't mind.

Client is a citizen of Mexico looking to invest in an office building in Texas which will be run by a local management company. Wants to know the best way to do this from an income tax perspective.

I don't have much experience with foreign nationals so I do not know the implications, if any, of him being a non resident in terms of how he should acquire and hold this real estate. Any thoughts would be appreciated. If I can get the ball rolling I'll be alright but I don't want to start in the wrong direction.


Personal tools