Discussion Archives:Deceased Taxpayer receives 1099 year after death

From TaxAlmanac, A Free Online Resource for Tax Professionals
Note: You are using this website at your own risk, subject to our Disclaimer and Website Use and Contribution Terms.

From TaxAlmanac

Jump to: navigation, search

Discussion Forum Index --> Advanced Tax Questions --> Deceased Taxpayer receives 1099 year after death

Discussion Forum Index --> Tax Questions --> Deceased Taxpayer receives 1099 year after death

Lauriefeagins (talk|edits) said:

10 February 2009
Taxpayer passed away in 2007. Had investments with Edward Jones which were sold and liquidated in January 2008. He has now received 1099-INT, 1099-DIV & 1099-B for 2008. For 2007 a 1040 was filed for the deceased taxpayer. How do I file 2008 tax?

Blrgcpa (talk|edits) said:

10 February 2009
Use 1041 for income received after dod.

Newtaxguy (talk|edits) said:

March 31, 2009
Similar question... about $10,000 in 1099's received in year after death under decedent's SS.

TP died in early 2007. Final 1040 was filed, and trust was closed, with "final" 1041 filed... all in 2007.

Received for 2008: 1099-G with $4k for '07 state tax refund, 1099-int's from IRS and CA FTB and $5k on 1099-C.

I assume that blrgcpa's answer to above applies to my client, and I ought to file 1041 trust return for 2008.


Thanks, The New Tax Guy

Newtaxguy (talk|edits) said:

April 2, 2009
Does blrg's answer apply when a trust has already been closed? And is there a human with tax liability in this matter??
Personal tools