Discussion:Any hope for Non-filer living in England ?

From TaxAlmanac, A Free Online Resource for Tax Professionals
Note: You are using this website at your own risk, subject to our Disclaimer and Website Use and Contribution Terms.

From TaxAlmanac

Jump to: navigation, search

Discussion Forum Index --> Advanced Tax Questions --> Any hope for Non-filer living in England ?

Discussion Forum Index --> Tax Questions --> Any hope for Non-filer living in England ?

Aisha (talk|edits) said:

9 October 2008
My client (US citizen living in London) has not filed a tax return since 2000.

She now wants to file all 7 years(2001-2207). She says her income level has been low and has never surpassed the "Earned Income Exclusion" so she will not owe any US taxes.

I'm concerned about penalties. Anyone have any suggestions about the best way to go about filing so she doesn't get slammed with penalties?

Guya (talk|edits) said:

10 October 2008
This is a standard situation. Take a look at the IRS London website for what they expect.

There may be penalties for failure to file Forms TD F 90-22.1, 3520 & 3520-A. Otherwise I am not sure what penalties you have in mind?

Don't forget to report employer comtributions to UK pension plans - plus any other income or gains that are tax free in the UK such as child benefit, ISAs, National Savings & gains on selling main residences or repaying foreign currency mortgages.

If there are children then it may pay not to elect the exclusion for recent years to get the refundable credit.

To join in on this discussion, you must first log in.
Personal tools